Wednesday 26 August 2009

Evening at Gowerton

After finishing work on Tuesday I headed down to Gowerton with Ben my housemate with the hope that he would catch his first carp. I set up one rod for him on a method feeder and pellet and the other with a boilie. I set two of my own rods up one with a boilie and one with pepperami.

It wasn’t long before I had a knock on the pepperami that was placed in the margin but after nothing more materialised I decided to check it. The rests weren’t in the ground very well as it was a bit hard where we were fishing and so the rear rest began to tip. This pulled the rod tip of the second rod around and I was in the process of trying to push it back into the ground when the rod tip began to sail around again. It wasn’t until line began to be pulled off the reel that I realised that a fish had actually picked up the bait at that exact moment in time.

It felt a pretty good fish and I got Ben over to help with playing it etc to get a bit of a feel as to what a hooked carp feels like. Once landed the fish weighed almost exactly 12 lb after the weight of the wet mat/sling had been deducted. Unlike the carp from the HRP the Gowerton carp seem much less chunky and can therefore appear bigger. I also think that the Gowerton carp can sometimes fight harder for their size.

After this early success I was reasonably confident that we would get some more. After a knock on the method feeder I checked it and the pellet was gone. I then put sweetcorn on it and put it back in the same place for Ben. An hour or so later I saw him jump up and he was into a fish. He let it run initially from the margin but unfortunately I think he didn’t keep enough tension as the fish turned towards him and this allowed the fish to slip the hook.

We fished into dusk and I missed one more drop back bite before we packed up. We didn’t have as much success as I’d hoped and Ben still hasn’t yet landed his first carp properly but I’m sure its only a matter of time (if he continues to come fishing that is). The one carp we did land was a nice one though and I have finally replaced the batteries in the camera so there are some pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment